Digital Operations Specialist
Posted May 31
StoryCorps’ mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world.
StoryCorps’ Digital & Technical Innovation department is a highly collaborative team that creates, supports, and enhances all StoryCorps digital platforms. Their main areas of focus include the recently re-launched StoryCorps.org, SCU.org, StoryCorps.me – the StoryCorps app and platform, the Archive/IIS, SugarCRM, the new staff directory, and all of the organization’s web based systems.
The Operations Specialist will provide administrative and project management support to the Managing Director, Digital & Technical Innovation and the department as a whole. The Operations Specialist’s duties will include creating project timelines and tracking progress against key benchmarks and deadlines, coordinating and supporting internal and external meetings, creating & distributing internal reports, and communicating with internal customers and collaborators, as needed. The position will also work with the Operations & Legal Affairs Department and the Finance Department, respectively, to ensure the timely creation and execution of vendor/consultant contracts, and the timely submission of payment requests and expense reports.
The Operations Specialist will also provide support to the Digital & Technical Innovation team by becoming familiar with StoryCorps’ websites and web systems and assisting with various minor web development tasks as assigned.
The Operations Specialist reports to the Managing Director, Digital & Technical Innovation, works closely with other Digital & Technical Innovation staff, and consults periodically with other departments to help ensure that StoryCorps’ systems, specifically SugarCRM, WordPress, Drupal, and a variety of remote service APIs, are well- documented, free of issues and bugs, highly secure and robust, and are continuously evolving to meet the changing needs of the organization. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone with experience in an administrative or project management role who is looking to sharpen their skills in web and mobile application development and design.
The ideal candidate has strong organizational and communication skills as well as foundational experience in web development / programming, and wants to further develop their skills and build their resume experience working in a fast-paced, highly collaborative digital team.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices — from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with experience supporting diversity and social justice-oriented organizations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Here’s what you’ll do as a part of our team:
The Digital Operations Specialist will:
- Project Management & Administrative Support (50%)
- Create project schedules for the Digital & Technical Innovation team, and track progress against deliverables, benchmarks, and deadlines, adjusting schedules as needed
- Schedule and coordinate internal and external meetings — including drafting meeting agendas and taking meeting notes, and ensuring follow-up on questions, agreements, and other action items
- Manage departmental expense reporting
- Create and manage internal department reports
- Ensure the timely creation and execution of vendor/consultant contracts, with support and guidance from internal legal staff
- Support the Managing Director in addressing the human resource and logistical needs of the department
- Analyze the need for, update, and write internal departmental policies and procedures
- Perform other project management & administrative duties to support the Digital & Technical Innovation department, as assigned Web Development, Administration, & Maintenance (50%)
- Perform Quality Assurance testing on new and existing features and functionalities of websites and desktop and mobile apps
- Coordinate interdepartmental Quality Assurance testing
- Support the Digital & Technical Innovation team on various web maintenance and administration tasks, as assigned
- Perform minor updates to StoryCorps websites, with direction from Digital & Technical Innovation staff
- Work with editorial and other departments on changes to StoryCorps websites
- Perform other tasks to support the Digital & Technical Innovation department, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications: Required:
- At least 1 – 2 years experience in administrative support, office management, project management, operations, or related
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education/training and relevant work experience
- Experience planning and managing projects from start to finish, with demonstrated success
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Working knowledge of WordPress Content Management System
- Proficiency in creating/editing HTML and CSS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software
- Proficiency with multiple operating systems and web browsers
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines efficiently and work quickly and effectively in high pressure situations and on time-sensitive projects
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Willingness to explore and learn new systems and technologies
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with Drupal CMS and/or SugarCRM
- Experience with wireframing and web and UI/UX design
- Experience writing technical or process documentation
- Nonprofit experience
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Digital Operations Specialist.” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.