Posted June 11
The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
The Simons Foundation is beginning a new computational science organization called the Flatiron Institute. Flatiron will seek to explore challenging science problems in astrophysics, biology and chemistry. Computational science techniques involve processing and simulation activities and large-scale data analysis. This position is intended to help design, commission and operate the processing infrastructure for the Flatiron Institute.
- Participate in the design, planning, acquisition, commissioning and operations of data-processing resources for the Flatiron Institute.
- Contribute to the optimization of applications and workflow design from a variety of scientific fields for efficient resource utilization in a challenging environment, where the storage and processing resources may be geographically separated and applications may have strict latency and/or IO requirements.
- Provide direct user support to local communities utilizing the scientific computing resources hosted locally (at a dedicated co-location facility) and potentially dynamically provisioned through a cloud provider.
- Participate in the development of infrastructure for operations, monitoring and accounting of scientific computing.
- Supervise a small team of system administrators.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related scientific field
- Five years of experience in scientific- or academic-computing environments
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- A strong background in Linux administration is required.
- Proficiency with at least one modern programming language (C, C++, Java or Python) or scripting language is required.
- Experience with cluster management systems is required. Puppet is currently used.
- Experience with batch queuing systems is required. SLURM is currently used.
- Experience with cloud-based and dynamically provisioned computing is beneficial.
- Experience with low-latency interconnects, such as InfiniBand and/or network administration, is beneficial.
The Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.
How to Apply
Apply here by Aug. 10, 2016
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.