Posted June 13
New York, NY
Designing, supporting, and sustaining great public schools for New York City's highest-need students.
Reporting to the Vice President of External Affairs, the Senior Designer manages creative projects in both print and digital media that effectively communicate the organization’s core messages and advance programmatic goals. The Senior Designer ensures each project aligns with New Visions’ visual standards and assembles a pool of photography, infographics, social media graphics and other visual elements that can be used regularly in creative collateral.
The Senior Designer is responsible for managing the work-flow of design projects and prioritizes assignments as necessary. By following the organization’s visual standards, s/he will set the artistic style and visual imagery for each project; in close collaboration with program staff, s/he creates storyboards, design mock-ups, and other creative planning tools, and provides input on the content development process. In consultation with the Vice President, the Senior Designer manages all creative activity, including liaising with freelance designers for specific projects as well as with photographers, illustrators and printers.
- Manage graphic design production to advance New Visions’ programmatic, fundraising, and communications goals; execute appropriate visual designs in print and digital media in a range of formats (including brochures, invitations, presentations, templates, infographics, digital signage, posters, illustrations, icons, charts, maps, e-newsletters, banner ads, social media graphics, web).
- Become versed in New Visions’ visual identity standards (typography, color, logo lock-ups) and apply those standards to all creative projects; collaborate with program teams to design solutions that are compelling, coherent, and aligned with the standards.
- Manage design requests and prioritize projects from program staff; participate in discovery meetings and creative planning sessions with New Visions team members to help translate their needs into appropriate design solutions.
- Provide input on enhancements to design features of New Visions main website and related micro-websites; comfort and familiarity with mobile responsiveness, user experience (UX), information architecture, and design of content elements a plus.
- Collaborate with charter school administration to oversee production and delivery of branded material and recruitment collateral (brochures, flyers, signage, stationery, etc.) as well as school signage.
- On occasion, liaise with freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers, and ensure quality of creative output.
- Liaise with print vendors, oversee scheduling and delivery of materials; solicit cost estimates and negotiate optimal specifications for each job; ensure projects remain on schedule and on budget.
- Stay current on industry trends, with close attention to website standards, social media and mobile applications.
- Working with printers, review proofs of printed publications and artwork.
- Provide research and recommendations for software and hardware purchases related to art and graphic design.
Required Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s or other advanced degree in strategic communications/ branding a plus;
- 5-7 years’ graphic design experience in both print and web environments;
- Experience in nonprofit communications and marketing a plus;
- Experience creating high-impact visual materials for student recruitment campaigns a plus.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated expertise in using Adobe Creative Suite; proficiency in MS Office suite (especially PowerPoint) and Google Apps cloud-based productivity tools; advanced proficiency in Google Slides software preferred;
- Knowledge of digital, interactive design and best practices; experience liaising with content strategists, developers and web producers a plus; basic understanding of HTML, HTML5, CSS, Flash a plus;
- Interest in non-profit, mission-driven work environment;
- Strong communications and project management skills; strong attention to detail, proofreading and copyediting skills;
- Demonstrated strong typography, layout, and conceptual skills with strong knowledge of digital pre-press production.
Why New Visions?
New Visions for Public Schools is an innovation lab within New York City’s public school system. We believes that the best way to strengthen schools is to develop the professional capacity of teachers, principals and administrators. Our mission is to ensure all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the workforce. Further, we are committed to sharing innovative tools, strategies and lessons learned in New Visions schools with others in New York and throughout the country to prove that meaningful change is achievable at scale and success is possible for every child. New Visions has a proven track record of innovation and success in supporting nearly 50,000 students annually achieve graduation rates of nearly 10% higher than the citywide average.
By working for New Visions you will receive:
- Opportunity to make a significant impact on the future of education
- Plenty of room for creativity and an expectation for innovation
- Competitive pay with opportunity to earn annual bonus
- Generous benefits package including free medical and dental for employees, gym reimbursements, 4 weeks paid time off that increases to 5 weeks after only 2 years, and 8% company contributions towards your retirement that commence after only 1 year.
New Visions for Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.