Senior Digital Data Analyst (2016 election)
Posted June 15
MoveOn is the largest independent, progressive, digitally-connected organizing group in the United States
FULL-TIME • STARTS ASAP • COMPETITIVE PAY • EXCELLENT BENEFITS • WORK FROM ANYWHERE IN THE U.S. • TEMPORARY ROLE THROUGH DEC. 1 WITH POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION
MoveOn.org—the preeminent people-powered progressive campaigning organization that has, time and again, deployed innovative uses of data and technology in service of making social change—is hiring a new Senior Digital Data Analyst through the 2016 election.
We’re looking for someone to use analytics to help defeat Donald Trump, his dangerous politics of hatred, racism, misogyny, authoritarianism, and violence, and those who enable it—and build independent progressive political power in the process. Is this you?
Since 1998, MoveOn.org has been at the leading edge of figuring out how to leverage data, technology, and scale to organize and empower millions of everyday Americans to make a difference in the big fights of our time—combating economic inequality, opposing unjust wars, pushing for action on the climate crisis, and more.
Throughout its history, MoveOn has championed a culture of analytics and analytic innovation—from the kinds of digital A/B testing and optimization now made famous by presidential campaigns to deep member listening through data. In recent years, MoveOn has incubated Upworthy.com (formerly MoveOn Media) to use a data-driven approach to find and spread powerful and compelling progressive content, developed predictive models to better understand members and guide strategic decisions, and integrated 17 years of historical data into a cloud-based data warehouse, making even more and more advanced analytics possible.
This election year we face a threat, not only from Donald Trump, but from candidates across the country emboldened by his politics of hate. We’re going to stand up to that hate through digital and offline organizing with our millions of members and help strengthen progressive candidates and progressive causes in the process.
Working together with teams across the organization, MoveOn’s Senior Data Analyst will guide the use of data, develop analytic tools to make our work better, and create breakthrough innovations to better serve MoveOn’s millions of members. You’ll work closely with MoveOn.org Civic Action’s and MoveOn.org Political Action’s terrific, small (30–35 people), and tight-knit staff.
Is this job for you?
Are you a highly skilled, entrepreneurial data analyst who encounters everyday problems and sees them as fun or interesting data challenges? Do you believe in the potential of the internet and analytics to empower and help win campaigns for social justice?
Are you a thoughtful and effective communicator, who can both talk to a technical audience and partner with a nontechnical audience?
Are you a practical problem solver who understands how to incorporate data in decision making to help drive clear, strategic decisions?
Our 2016 Digital Data Analyst should be a gifted data analyst who can communicate effectively across the organization and apply strategic and analytic judgement. The role requires the following:
- Digital Experience. A lot of our analytics is in support of our online community of millions of members. We’re looking for experience with A/B testing, modeling and optimizing user flows, and integrating data and testing into email and websites.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. You’ll be working with people from teams across the organization. They don’t want a data dump. They want collaboration and strategic guidance.
- Excellent problem-solving skills. The core of this role is to translate real-world challenges into analytic problems, solve them, and translate them back into real-world solutions. You should love the thought of doing that.
- Good judgment and vision. The organization counts on its analytics team to provide sound decision-making advice. You should feel comfortable doing that, even with imperfect knowledge.
- Experience with databases and lots of data. We use postgreSQL and Amazon Redshift as well as MySQL databases. Experience with other setups is fine too. - Experience with digital analytics or analytics in an advocacy or electoral campaign is also a plus, but not required.
- A strong understanding of modern data science. Our problems frequently change, so a broad knowledge base of analytic approaches and the ability to learn quickly are key. We do most of our analysis in R with scripts as needed, but any solid stats/analytics platform experience will work.
- A passion for social justice. You should do this job because you’re passionate about making the country more progressive through grassroots activism.
- A warm, caring, earnest nature and good sense of humor. You’d fit in well at MoveOn with those.
Deadline and Application: Click here to submit your application, résumé, and cover letter. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a goal of starting full-time ASAP. Apply ASAP for consideration.
Location: Position can be based anywhere in the continental U.S. May require some travel.
Salary and benefits: The position includes a full-time, competitive salary, plus benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 10 days accrued paid sick time; reimbursement of office expenses; and much more!
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.