Development Project Manager
Posted May 21
Kiva is a mission driven technology company that runs a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans to serve the financially excluded.
Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with a mission to alleviate poverty. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.”
In just 10 years, Kiva has raised $850 million in loan capital for nearly 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level - targeting $1 billion in loans by 2017 and continuing our expansion into new areas such as local lending in the US, student loans, water, clean energy.
Kiva achieves its global impact through the coordinated efforts of 100+ San Francisco-based employees, small teams in Nairobi, Bangkok, & Istanbul, and 500+ volunteers worldwide. Kiva seeks an experienced Project Manager for the Development Department. The Development Project Manager will manage operations, tracking/reporting, communication, and planning for major grants and projects made possible through funding and strategic partnerships with major corporations, foundations, and institutions. You will become the “go to” expert for externally funded projects such as Kiva Labs that span the depth of impact that Kiva seeks in areas such as Rural Agricultural Finance and the breadth of impact it pursues accelerating the crowdfunding movement of millions of users of the Kiva.org website.
The Development Project Manager will be uniquely situated with a cross-organizational view working with teams that include engineering, international development professionals, and teams across virtually every departmental function from Finance to Marketing & Communications. The Development Project Manager will have a front row seat coordinating Kiva’s latest innovations through Kiva Labs and will be an integral part of a dynamic fundraising and development team reporting directly to Kiva’s Vice President of Strategic Development.
The Development Project Manager will effectively manage the following:
- Implement and Manage Project and Task Management system for non-engineering Business users (e.g. Asana, JIRA Core)
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of time tracking system
- Work closely with Development Operations Manager to constantly seek and implement efficiency improvements across a variety of systems including Salesforce, Google Drive, Box, Atlassian (JIRA, Confluence, HipChat), Looker, Microsoft Office.
Tracking and Reporting
- Manage major partnership and grant activities to ensure compliance with contract budgets, timelines,and guidelines.
- Customize and maintain global project plan, time tracking, progress reporting, and communication across all projects and sub-projects.
- Ensure open communication saturation across teams
- Analyze project data for new insights and custom dashboards and reports for quarterly reporting to external stakeholders.
- Monitor business risks including but not limited to budget variances, execution of committed deliverables and milestones, and delayed payments.
- Ability to work cross-functionally within Kiva across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Troubleshoot/resolve a wide range of logistical and technical issues in creative and agile ways.
- Coordinate project communication including online collaboration tools, regular team meetings, quarterly internal and external stakeholder reviews
- Maintain knowledge management for key project documents including budgets, assumptions, reports, meeting notes, analyses, etc.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and diplomatically with external stakeholders on project successes and failures, including explaining any variances
- Work closely with VP of Strategic Development and senior management to continually track alignment of external stakeholder requirements against internal annual plan (goals, initiatives, and objectives).
- Contribute to quarterly operations reviews
- Participate in annual project planning and budgeting
The ideal candidate will be an analytical and organized professional who possesses the following skills and attributes:
- Passion to use technology to solve the world’s greatest challenges
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills
- A Bachelor or graduate degree in a related field (business, technology, international development)
- 3-5 years proven experience in project or product management in a social enterprise, technology company, corporation or NGO
- Experience in fundamentals of Project Management essential; the ideal candidate will be able to apply project management best practices for non-engineering projects and non-technical business users
- Excellent Excel, and Google docs, sheets, slides skills required
- Willingness to travel to our Nairobi, Kenya office 1-2 times per year
- Knowledge of Atlassian JIRA Core and/or Asana strongly desired
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence and data exploration systems (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- Experience managing a project funded by a large foundation, multilateral institution, or government agency
- Experience creating or managing to budgets
- Knowledge of Microfinance or international development a plus
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.