Junior Front-End Developer
Posted May 27
GlobalGiving is a global crowdfunding community that connects nonprofits, donors, and companies in nearly every country around the world.
GlobalGiving is looking for a front-end web developer that’s passionate about making the world a better place.
Using your web development skills, you will be a part of a team that designs, codes, and oversees projects that make a positive impact for millions of people around the world. You will help us question our assumptions, think of our users, and continuously improve our website and technology stack.
Although we’re a small team, we’ve got our fingers in a lot of cookie jars. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a lot of cutting edge technologies and make your great ideas a reality. Day-to-day tasks include front-end web development, user interface and user experience design, bug fixing, analytics, and limited customer service. Initially, you’ll be focused on helping us finish our website redesign, migrating to a 100% responsive design, and exploring new front-end frameworks to help us speed up development. In the long term, you’ll help us continuously evolve and improve our website to help our partners around the world to raise more money from more donors, have more impact, and do more good in their communities. This position is a part of our Product team.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinions and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Integrate All the Layers: Integrate front-end code with back-end (developed in Java) by working collaboratively with software engineers. - Experience with browser layout, cross-browser development practices, and browser degradation strategies a plus.
- Design: Strong experience implementing modern web UIs that delight users, including working with designers to bring responsive webpages to life from design comps.
- Frameworks: Develop robust, fault-tolerant features with jQuery, handlebars, and browserify, and modular code with LESS/SASS. Experience with frameworks like React, Angular, or Ember a plus.
- Multi-task: We always have a dozen different things going on. You’ll need to be good at balancing long-term projects, several small feature requests, and an urgent bug fix or two. Experience working in a Scrum environment a plus.
- User Experience: Improve the experience of our product for all users—including donors, project partners, corporate partners, and staff—by simplifying processes, questioning existing workflows, and simplifying/improving interfaces.
- Numbers: We’ll need your help analyzing our website performance to figure out what’s working and what’s not, and what we can do to improve.
- Moving 1s and 0s: Understanding of how to work with source control (git), continuous development tools (gulp), and familiarity with tracking tasks and progress using bug tracking tools (JIRA).
- Continuous Improvement: Research and identify new technologies, tools or techniques that improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving’s website or operations/processes. Help us know what we don’t know.
- Customer Service: Customer service is not a key focus, but it’s a great way to learn while “wowing” our customers, both internal and external, and performing your share of daily site upkeep and maintenance.
- Motivated Self: Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced while bringing your own sense of humor, desire to change the world, and love of
- 1+ year of relevant work experience, completion of an immersive front-end development course (such as General Assembly), or a degree in computer science. Bachelors Degree in any field that you can apply to this job (computer science, business, marketing, international studies, or similar) a plus.
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others’ ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills, creativity, and flexibility; comfort building and maintaining web pages.
- Ability to translate business requirements into well-designed webpages.
- Ability to collaborate with graphic designers and back end web developers to turn a mockup into a functional, dynamic website that users love.
- Passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving, the vision to help us advance it, and commitment to our core values.
Benefits include 5 weeks of paid time off per year, flexible work hours, a convenient downtown DC location, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, “Today, I supported a nonprofit that is working to provide housing for 25 girls in Mumbai’s red light district.” (One of many true stories.) We’re rated as one of the top ten places to work in Washington, D.C. And don’t worry - we’ve also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, etc.
This position is based in Washington DC. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.