Posted May 10
SF or NYC
DonorsChoose.org is looking for an energetic, team-oriented, and self-motivated Java Developer to improve our unique philanthropic marketplace. This position will play a central role in an agile non-profit organization that is serious about technology.
Reporting to our CTO, the Java Developer will:
- Estimate and deliver on rapid implementation schedules–without compromising smart development goals and principles–to build web functionality that is functional, fast, and scalable.
- Design, implement, and maintain new functionality for use by teachers, donors, and staff.
- Keep a high-volume transaction-driven web system running by troubleshooting and fixing critical bugs.
The right candidate is a top-notch contributor with a proven track record of success, who will be comfortable in DonorsChoose.org’s start-up atmosphere and ready to play a key technical role on a small, dedicated team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and enthusiasm for tackling diverse development challenges.
- Strong sense of ownership and detail-orientation throughout the web engineering lifecycle.
- Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with little supervision.
- Passion for delivering high-quality web functionality on aggressive schedules.
- Strong SQL skills, experience with O/R mapping tools like Hibernate is a plus. Strong skills with an object-oriented language and MVC framework.
- Experience integrating 3rd-party web applications, services, and components.
- Nice to have: HTML, CSS, JS, or AJAX.
- Nice to have: experience building robust functionality for commercial web sites and applications.
DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. Teachers at half of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Over 1.7 million people have funded classroom resources, field trips, and experiences for more than 14 million students from low-income communities.
We have a beautiful office in midtown, just a four-minute walk from Penn Station and Port Authority. We’re a non-profit, but our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun like a startup.
What we offer
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary with merit-based bonus potential, comprehensive benefits with 100% paid medical, dental and vision coverage, matching 401K, professional development budget, a flexible work environment, and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work. Fast Company named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World.
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.