Web Developer, Radio & Music
Posted May 25
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is a British public service broadcaster.
The Radio Product Group in Future Media works alongside our radio networks (e.g. Radio 1, Radio 2) to deliver innovative and exciting online experiences around the best radio content in the world. The team is responsible for the radio network homepages (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1), music event sites (http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/efmhzc), the BBC’s online music offering (http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/), the over-arching iPlayer Radio brand http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio and http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes. We work in an agile environment, with several Scrum teams developing new features for release each sprint. Our goal is to develop imaginative and engaging new features for our product portfolio, delivering across multiple devices without compromising on quality, standards and accessibility, serving our 4m+ weekly unique audience and driving up audience reach.
Key accountabilities for the Web Developer will include:
- Build, design and deliver high quality, high volume, high availability and high performance solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the department.
- Deliver solutions through the application of BDD, TDD and pair programming.
- On-time delivery and own quality of work ensuring it meets the technical standards of the department.
- Provide time and resource estimates to assist in the planning of projects.
- Write and implement acceptance criteria and unit tests including automation test cases that verify functional and non-functional requirements of a feature.
- Analyse code quality and continually assess risk to ensure that high quality solutions are delivered.
- Write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential skills and experience must include:
- Proficient at writing robust software for large-scale web applications.
- Proficiency in writing quality object-oriented code in PHP, Java and/or Scala.
- Good understanding of web services (e.g. RESTful services), including the ability to programmatically interact with data formats that may include XML, JSON and RDF.
- Experience of TDD, pair programming, OO design, refactoring
- Experience of version control systems (Subversion, Git)
- Understanding of CI, experience with using a CI system (e.g. Hudson, Jenkins)
- Linux admin
- Experience of development in one or more of the following: Ruby, Python, Clojure, Groovy,or Perl
- Package Description
12 month FTC 7
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
How to Apply
Help us keep GoodJobs up-to-date. Contact us if it looks like this job is no longer accepting applications.